Placed at: Surguja, Chhattisgarh
Education:Post Graduate Diploma in Rural Management, XIMB
Prior work experience:
- Worked with Monsanto India Ltd. for 10 months in Sales and Marketing Division
Key work during fellowship
- Poor health and social indicators of women in tribal district, Surguja. High IMR, MMR, U5MR, poor institutional delivery,literacy levels, child marriage, domestic violence etc. these indicators are below national and even state average.
What was done:
- efforts have been taken to fully engage these women in better delivery of services and benefits by mobilizing them into Self-Help groups. Each and every women will be member of SHG and livelihood mapping of each SHG will be done. These SHGs will be NRLM compliant and molded into medium of social change to make district free from open defecation, alcoholism and illiteracy.
- Convergence of various department for economic activity planning with care to Socio-cultural context focus on Agriculture and forest based activities.
- Also most vulnerable group widow, divorced and separated women (WDS) were mapped and provided facilitation, assistance and handholding support in linking with them with an income generating activity.
- In Surguja, it is observed that through small and consistent savings, women in groups are able to bring significant change in life of their family like better health, better education, better source of income, better say in society, better decision and so on.
- 2,497 SHGs linked with various economic activity majority of which is agriculture and allied activities.
- 1940 women trained for various skill like seed production, mushroom, vermi-composting, organic farming, fruit cultivation, mason, tailoring,security guard, tractor and auto driving etc.
- Institutionalization of SHGs done – 2 Female farmers cooperative formed for seed production and organic farming.