Placed at: Bandipore, Jammu & Kashmir
Education:B.Tech in Electronics & Communication Engineering from Govt Model Engineering College, Kochi; MA in Public Administration from IGNOU Delhi.
Prior work experience:
- Worked for 2 years and 3 months in Deloitte Consulting India Pvt. Ltd at Hyderabad as a consultant in CRM before joining PMRDF
One key work during fellowship
- Poor learning levels among elementary level school children (Classes 1 – 8) in Bandipore District.
What was done:
- A comprehensive programme entitled the “New Leaf Initiative” was launched in April 2015 which comprised of the following activities:
- Setting up a group of Education Observers comprising dedicated officers of the District Administration to constantly monitor learning levels and progress of initiatives undertaken in the district.
- Roping in PRATHAM, a reputed NGO working in education, to implement their Read India programme on a pilot basis in 150 schools of the district for children of classes 1 – 5 in English, Mathematics and Urdu.
- Inviting talented and passionate youngsters from organizations like Teach For India to teach and impart teachers training.
- Inculcating learning-by-doing through science workshops by NGO Gyan Setu, Pune as well as encouraging science teachers to explain concepts through neighbourhood learning field trips. Star-gazing events were conducted which were facilitated with telescopes and Google Sky Map (Android App) to spark curiosity in our youngsters about the universe.
- Dramatic improvement in learning levels in PRATHAM-adopted schools in the time period of June to October 2015. Reading levels went up from 7% to 31% in English and from 9% to 28% in Urdu. Basic arithmetic levels improved from 41% to 77% in our students.
- 30 volunteers from age-group of 16 to 65 from all across the country came to Bandipore to teach our students. The school environment has been changed into a lively, energetic atmosphere in the schools they undertook interventions in.
- Govt. of J&K has acknowledged the success of PRATHAM and our volunteer teaching initiatives and is scaling it across all Districts of Kashmir in 2016.