Placed at: West Singhbhum, Jharkhand
Education: B.Tech in Bioengineering and M. Tech in Biomedical Technology (Integrated Dual Degree) from Indian Institute of Technology, Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
Prior work experience:
- No prior work experience
One key work during fellowship
The forest-dwelling lac cultivators of the Bandgaon region were unable to get remunerative prices due to cartelisation by local traders.
What was done:
- Mobilisation of the lac cultivators and breaking the Mafia-like control of Bandgaon Haat with the help of District Administration
- Ensuring Systemic Transparency in the Village Haat Committee
- Value Chain Analysis of lac in the region and beyond
- Exposure trip and linkage of Haat Committee to the large and relatively open market of Balrampur, West Bengal
- Steps towards processing stick lac into seed lac in SHGs and formation of Lac Producers’ group
- Haat Committee is in constant contact with larger markets which pay about 20% more.
- The local traders themselves start giving remunerative prices in competition with the haat committee