Placed at: Karbi Anglong, Assam
Education: B. Tech Mechanical Production Engineering,SCTCE, Kerala University
Prior work experience:
- Teaching Volunteer , MAD (Make A Difference, NGO for disadvantaged children)
- Mechanical Engineer, Maintenance wing OTR plant, MRF tyres, Medak, Telengana
- Guest Lecturer, CSAT preparations ( Centre for Continuing Education Kerala, SC/ST Civil Service Training Centre, Planet IAS, Extension centres CCEK-Calicut & Palakkad, NSS Academy for Civil Service)
Key work during fellowship
- Financial Exclusion of tribes and ignorance about banking institutions and services
What was done:
- In partnership with NABARD 3-4 financial literacy campaign is held every month in remote villages in the district. The bank manager of the rural bank/nearest bank along with NABARD DDM and PMRDFs demonstrate via calculations the advantages of savings habit. This session is taken forward with comparison from bank and non-bank lending rates and outcomes with flex boards and charts. Then in an open session the bank manager and the people sort out the confusion, bringing banks closer to people and more humane. Then a session on PM Jan Dhan Yojana, PM suraksha Bima yojana and PMs Jeevan jyoti yojana is taken. In the final session willing participants open bank accounts and pledge to do weekly/monthly savings and opt for PMJJY/PMSBY or Atal Pension Yojana as their wish.
- On an average 200-300 bank accounts are opened every month and the corresponding rural banks report sound financial transactions from the eager people. Being a continuous project, the long term impact of financial inclusion on rural households is to be studied.