Placed at: Chirang, Assam
Education: BA in Economics from Gauhati University and MA in Social Work from Tata Institute of Social Sciences, Mumbai
Prior work experience:
- Jechonia Islary has worked in the NGO sector in policy and planning roles. He also worked for two years with National Rural Health Mission, Assam as a district community mobilizer. He worked for three years prior to joining the fellowship.
Key work during fellowship
- The work allocation to labourers was at the wish of the MGNREGA block functionaries. For Hazaribad village, development was not beyond IAY and pension.
What was done:
- Build agreement among stakeholders for unemployment allowances payment. Coordinated the process.
- Coordination between departments to ensure 261 IHHL under NBA & MGNREGA
- Road connectivity under REWO, PMGSY & IAP
- Electrification under RGGVY & IAP
- Pipe drinking water under IAP in model village
- Unemployment allowance payment process of MGNREGA workers has led to better work allocation to labours in all the 13 developmental blocks of the district.
The convergence programme to make Hazaribad a model village has acted as successful model to be replicated to other villages.