Placed at: Karbi Anglong, Assam
Education: Bachelor of Dental Surgery
Prior work experience:
- Private Practitioner of Dentistry for 18 months in Nagaon, Assam.
Key work during fellowship
- Participation of the predominant tribal population of Karbi Anglong in any sort of developmental activities is very low as compared to the non-tribals. This came as an issue while I was a part of the team in charge of preparation of the Village Development Plan( VDP) under Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojana(SAGY) and Intensive Participatory Planning Exercise(IPPE) under MGNREGS. People seldom attended public meetings held in their villages as part of Developmental Schemes for the area.
What was done:
- Ice-breaking activities: Fun football match, Science camps in schools, Medical Camps, Veterinary Camps.
- Selection of active volunteers to spread awareness about the schemes in that area among the people and also to help in a Baseline Survey under SAGY
- Regular Formal and Informal discussions
- Participatory Planning Exercises like PRA
- After one year of involvement in the 11 villages under SAGY I can truly say that participation has increased many fold. What is heart warming is the active presence of women in all the public meetings held in their villages. They are not afraid to speak their concerns even in the presence of top Government officials and also come up with innovative solutions. The volunteers continue to do excellent work in spreading awareness and motivating the people to take development in their own hands.