Placed at: Karim Nagar, Telangana
Education: B.Tech (Electrical and Electronics Engineering) and MA Social Entrepreneurship, Tata Institute of Social Sciences,Mumbai
Prior work experience:
- Nukala Vamsi Krishna has worked as a software engineer with Wipro Technologies for over two years. He has also volunteered for Wipro activities related to corporate social responsibility (CSR)
One key work during fellowship
- More than 600 women were trained on tailoring skills but not more than 10% used their skills for livelihood. Even those who are practicing it earning very little amount to sustain their families.
What was done:
- Created two common interest groups in different interior Mandals and provided them complete infrastructure support including working capital for one year.
- Persuaded district administration to outsource stitching of uniforms under SSA and other state sponsored schemes to women apparel units
- Skill up-gradation training was provided by tying up with nearest commercial manufacturers.
- Established market linkages with private players to outsource their work to women apparel units
- The initiative was started with two units consisting 25 women and then scaled up to eight units across the district affecting directly about 200 people.
- It has resulted nearly 100% raise in the income of the members